Search This Blog

Showing posts with label Anchorage. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Anchorage. Show all posts

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sail Arrecife to Las Palmas 3-4 Dec 2012

December 3 the gribfiles indicated conditions would be very good for our sail from Arrecife on Lanzarote to Las Palmas on Gran Canaria - a 15 to 20 knot breeze from the NE
So at 1245hrs we left our anchorage in Arrecife - red arrow indicates Dutch Link's location

and headed out to sea
 for the 115 Nautical Mile downwind sail to Las Palmas
 
 with the wind forecast to be from behind, we kept the 2nd reef in the main (did not want to arrive in Las Palmas too early plus difficult to reef when sailing downwind with boom secured with a preventor) and poled out the Genoa
 approaching Punta Papagayo, the southern tip of Lanzarote
 Fuerteventura on port
 leaving Lanzarote behind
 sailing into the sunset
 the sun has set
 Breakfast time on a pleasant but fresh morning
 only 12.4 miles off Las Palmas, as our Ipad informs us
Las Palmas in sight
 La Isleta, north east of the port
 Moored at the Fuel Dock, Las Palmas at 1140hrs on 4 December after a 114 NMile pleasant downwind sail. Time taken 23 hours of which 3 hours on engine. Average speed 5 knots.

To our delight, who was on the jetty but non other than Nuno from the Azores. Nuno was on S/V Oasis during the Blue Water Rally and we had not seen him since then (2003). Nuno is now the Captain of the huge Sunreef 82 Cat mega yatch Houbara moored on the other side of the pontoon. He was fueling up and left shortly afterwards for the Caribbean

If you click on the below link and type "Houbara" in the box "go to vessel", Houbara's position will be shown plus info on the yacht
 We are now moored more or less in the same berth as last year in Las Palmas Marina - red arrow indicates Dutch Link's location
 zooming in
 zooming in
 We are now getting back into our Las Palmas routines and have already walked several times through the Parque Doramas and up the hill behind the marina to the S Korean Church
 superb spot for a workout
 Some photos of the Sunreef 82 as she left Las Palmas


 Nuno high-up in the top deck steering position






























Friday, October 8, 2010

Sail Fuerteventura El Castillo to Corralejo 7 October 2010


Woke up to the forecast calm day 7/10 and had a leasurely stroll along the boulevard. Unexpectedly, the wind picked up around noon to a southerly 6 gusting 27 knots. As the harbour is a bit tricky to exit in such conditions, checked to see if we could stay another night - however, no cancellations for the sports fishing event so had to leave. At 1345 cast off and, thanks to some lee from the opposite sea wall, managed to manoeuvre out of the harbour without problem.

Had an enjoyable fast run northwards in the southerly 6 under full Genny and no mainsail making 6 to 7 knots.


The route took us past the airport .
We were not sure whether we would find a place in the commercial harbour of Rosario so telephone the most northerly harbour of Corralejo. With our smattering os Spanish we decided that the harbour master had said that he had room for us but were not completely sure.

The route through the reef filled El Rio Channel between Isla de Lobos and Corraljo takes one very close to the jetty on Lobos

Isla de Lobos with Lanzarote in the background
before turning onto a course of 280 degrees true which leads one safely between two impressive surf zones.
With the help of the harbour master and two helpers managed to moor alongside an upwind pontoon in the crowded harbour in the gusty wind.
Had a very pleasant meal out on a terrace under the stars overlooking the harbour .

We were lucky to have been given a spot to tie up - the marina is full and the place we are occupying is reserved for another boat so at 0800 this morning we have to leave - maybe anchor off if we can find a spot is in the crowded anchorage.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sail Furteventura 1, 5th to 6th October 2010


Leasurely start to the day - anchor up at 0945 and motored the few miles to Morra Jable where we anchored at 1130 just east of the harbour close to town and beach (28deg 02.1N 014deg 21.0W in 10m water) and had another swim .



Had intended staying overnight and celebrating our wedding anniversary ashore. However, 9.9HP outboard engine refused to start and , as we knew that our 4HP engine also had problems, decided to phone around to find mechanic. After lunch raised the anchor and motored the 17 miles or so to Grande Tarajal . Anchored in the bay just to the east of the harbour just outside the swimming area buoys at 1930 - anchor held on third attempt in 7m water (28deg 12.5N 014deg 01.1W). Slightly rolly night but OK.

0700 anchor up and left in dark for the 17 miles to Puerto El Castillo where we moored in the marina (37 euros/night) at 1000 hrs. German mechanic Andreas arrived by 1200 hrs and by the end of the day both outboards where back in operation - one had a faulty electric shut off switch, the other had a dirty carburettor. Bow thruster refused to return to its pod - found loose connection in toggle switch unit - now working again. Have to move on 7/10 as marina fully booked for major offshore fishing event.
The island is very barren and desert-like having very little rainfall. Every few miles one comes across huge holiday village apartment blocks , several of which are under construction/ awaiting better financial times.

Sail Gran Canaria Las Palmas to Fuerteventura 4 October 2010

Plans can be changed! The grib files showed that the NW-erly would not last for long before reverting to the more normal NNE. Also talked to another sailor who told us he had attempted the direct northern route from Las Palmas to Graciosa three times and had given up making little progress against current, wind and waves. So, we opted for the more pleasant southern option round the SW tip of Fuerteventura. Left Las Palmas just before light at 0645 and had a super fast beam reach in a NNW 4 to 5 with 2 reefs in main and full Genny - very pleasant.

Landfall Fuerteventura


Rounded Punta Jandia (SW tip of the island) around 15.00 hrs and were anchored off the village of Puertito just tucked around the point by 1530hrs - excellent holding in sand in 6.5 meters water (28deg 04.2N 014deg 30.0W.



At 25 deg C, the water was just warm enough to tempt us in and had a snorkel round the boat - first time in the water since the Bahamas - great feeling to be back in anchoring swimming mode again. Anchorage proved to be not too rolly overnight.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sail Bahamas Man 0 War Cay to Elbow Cay etc. 22 to 25 April 2010


Motored the few miles to Man O'War Cay 22 April and had an interesting time anchoring just north of the shallow northern entrance to the harbour. Thought the anchor was holding fine till snorkelled over it to fine that not only was the chain looped around some rubbish but that the anchor had snagged and was held by two thick electricity cables. Managed to dive down in 4 meters water and pull anchor free and reset it (unusual for me (Mike) as have not been able to get that deep for a long time due to sinus problems (26deg 35.99N 077deg 00.78W).

Dinghied in to the harbour and had a walk round the very protected harbour.

23 April sailed slowly down under yankee to Sandy Cay where we anchored (26deg 24.13N 076deg 59.56W) and dinghied to dinghy mooring buoys to the east of the cay. Snorkelled over the many fan corals on the beautiful live reef seeing a Baracouda, Ray and many colourful reef fish.

Sailed back north a few miles to anchor just north of the sand spit at the southern end of Elbow Cay (26deg 30.35N 076deg 59.01W).

24 April dinghied to the beach and had a 6 + mile walk to the very neat Hope Town and back along the Ocean Beach. Hope Town is an allround protected hurricane hole boasting the only fully manned Lighthouse in the Abacos. The island is largely developed with many expensive houses and has a very prosperous feel to it. Ended the day with sundowners on S/V Goose Bumps with Mike & Barb.




Plan to sail back to Marsh Harbour today 25 April to Marsh Harbour to prepare for the 700 + mile leg to Bermuda - looks like there should be a weather window after the next front leaves us on Tuesday morning.