Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Gran Tarajal 23 April 2012 Haulout

At 0900 hrs Monday 16 April we motored from our Gran Tarajal marina berth the short distance to the Travel Lift slot.
 Shortly afterwards Antonio, the lift operator hauled us out of the water
There was a lot of white coral worm growing on the hull
 Manoeuvering us to our alloted space on the hard

 Antonio pushes the concrete blocks into position

 and then steers us towards them

 and sets us down on the blocks. Juan Carlos's men position his supports around us
 Dutch Link with its bottom pressure washed ready to be worked on

 One of the first jobs was to repair a very slow leak on the engine exhaust outlet which, luckily is above the water line except when we are heeled over.Tried to remove the securing bolts

 but several of the bolts proved to be inaccessible
 and finally gave up after trying for several hours  to reach them with the aid of a mirror and various combinations of spanners - very frustrating
 Hopefully solved the leak with the aid of epoxy putty followed by Primacon Primer and sikaflex around the bolts - we keep our fingers crossed
 Next job was to replace the skeg and propshaft anodes - both of which had very little zinc left - a good sign as this means they are doing their job and protecting the boat

 the new skeg anode
 and new propshaft anode
 meanwhile Jeannette is busy preparing the centre board for antifouling
 Antonio lifts the boat once more to allow us to fully lower the centre board and antifoul the hull above the concrete blocks
 J is creating a Picasso priming the bare Aluminium parts of the centreboard - Interprotect Primer on the bare sanded Aluminium parts followed by Primacon Primer before antifouling
 A year or so ago we suffered a bad scratch from a half sunken finger berth at Puerto Castillo. Luckily it had only removed the primer and there was no pitting
 so a bit of sanding and priming was all that was required
 Next the bow thruster is cleaned , primed
 and antifouled
 A job we had not planned was to remove the paint on the sides of the boat which has been blistering in places for some time. We decided to make a start on this exhausting job as we had access to a wonderful wheeled platform
 Meanwhile Juan Carlos's men antifouled the boat with Trilux 33
 Discovered that a normal wood chisel is the best paint scraper
 J repaints depth marks on the anchor chain with interprotect Primer

 Completely removed the paint on the port side except for the bit with our boat name on it
 Log/boatspeed impelor cleaned and vaselined
 and antifouled after reinserting in the through-hull fitting

 We ran out of time on the starboard side - will leave it till next time we are out of the water - we have removed the bad blistered paint parts so we do not expect this to be a problem
 As we have no wifi access on the boat, we have been visiting the Cultural Centre where there is free wifi
 The building is closed at weekends but thed WiFi is accessible from outside the building
 but during the week we can internet from inside
Plan to go back into the water tomorrow 24 April then sail to Punta Jandia (SW tip of Fuerteventura) to anchor overnight. Hopefully sail to Las Palmas on Wednesday

1 comment:

gerschok said...

Hallo painters, wat hebben jullie weer een enorme kls geklaard en wat zie het schip er weer fantastisch uit. Zijn ook hard aan het werk, Loes en de tuin en ik aan het schilderen van ons huis.
Wensen jullie een goede vaart morgen en zijn benieuwd of de Dutchlink sneller door het water gaat.Tot in Las Palmas!!! L&G